WEBSITE PRIVACY STATEMENT
Welcome to the website for KXLF.com (the “Site”). This Site is owned by Cordillera Communications (“Cordillera Communications” or “us”) and powered by Synapse Multimedia. We at Cordillera Communications recognize that many visitors to our website are concerned about the information that they provide to us or that may be collected, and how we treat that information. In order to address those concerns we have developed this Website Privacy Statement.
A. TYPES OF INFORMATION COLLECTED
At this website, we may collect both personally identifiable information and non-personally identifiable information from you.
1. Personally Identifiable Information.
a. You don’t have to provide us with your personally identifiable information (such as your name, address, telephone number, email address, etc.) in order to read most of what’s posted on this Site. We may, however, collect personally identifiable information about you when you submit it to us – such as when you open an account with us, register to use certain features of the Site, submit comments in response to one of our stories, sign up to receive information from us, enter a contest, respond to a survey, make a forum submission, post or submit an advertisement, email us, purchase something through the Site, or at times when we alert you that you must submit personally identifiable information.
b. The types of personally identifiable information we collect about you will depend on what you submit to us. For example, if you register to use certain features of the Site, such as the ability to submit comments or videos, you will be required to fill out a form that includes some of your personally identifiable information – such as your email address, age, gender, zip code, proposed password and User ID. We may also ask for your name, address, phone number, income, or other personal information. Similarly, if you sign up for a sweepstakes or contest on the Site, you may have to submit your name, address, email address, age, gender and other personal information. If you seek to purchase something through the Site, or if you register for a feature of the Site that is not free, then you will also have to provide your credit card number and perhaps a shipping address or other information related to the transaction.
c. If you email us, then we will collect your email address and any other personally identifiable information that you put in the email. If you respond to a survey or questionnaire, then we may collect any personal information in your response. If you post personally identifiable information on the Site, such as in comments to a story, in a forum on the Site, in a blog or in an advertisement, then we may collect that information as well.
d. If you sign up for an email newsletter, email notices, text alerts, or other electronic correspondence from us or through us, then we will collect your email address and/or mobile phone number or pager number and perhaps some other personally identifiable information about you such as your name, address, age, gender, income and any other information requested in the registration form. We may also collect a password and User ID.
e. Please note that advertisers and other third parties accessible on or through this Site may also collect personally identifiable information from you in order to use their services or buy their products. Please check their privacy policies for information about their privacy practices. In some cases these third parties may provide your personally identifiable information to Cordillera Communications.
2. Non-Personally Identifiable Information.
a. Non-personally identifiable information, such as which pages on the Site are accessed by the visitor, what information is downloaded, what type of browser and operating system are being used, which Internet service provider is being used, the Internet Protocol address (“IP address”) associated with the visitor’s computer, and other information of this general type may be collected about visitors to the Site. This information does not independently allow us to personally identify the Site visitor. By collecting this information we learn how best to develop our website and marketing efforts to meet the needs and desires of our visitors.
b. Advertisers may also collect non-personally identifiable information about Site visitors, and may provide such information to us.
B. METHODS OF INFORMATION COLLECTION
1. Personally identifiable information is collected when submitted by you – such as when you apply to open an account with us; register to use certain features of the Site; submit comments in response to one of our stories; sign up to receive emails, text messages or other information or correspondence from us; enter a sweepstakes or contest on or through the Site; respond to a survey or questionnaire; make a forum submission; post or submit an advertisement; email us; register to purchase something through the Site; or at times when we alert you that you must submit personally identifiable information.
2. Your personally identifiable information may also be collected by advertisers or other third parties and then provided to Cordillera Communications by the third party.
3. Non-personally identifiable information may be collected when submitted by you. It may also be collected via “cookies” (small text files placed on your computer’s hard drive), “web beacons” or other technology. Your computer may allow you to block cookies from us, but please understand that if you block our cookies or other technology, you may not be able to use all of the features or benefits of the Site.
C. HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
1. Personally Identifiable Information.
a. Credit card number. We may use your credit card number (including CVV or similar security code number) to process your purchase, sale or other business transaction. We may provide your credit card number to third party service providers to assist with these transactions, such as to process the credit card payment or to fulfill an order. Our service providers are not permitted to use your credit card number for purposes other than in association with your transaction. Other than as set forth in this paragraph (and for the limited legal and other purposes set forth in our “Other Uses” section of this Privacy Statement ), we will not use or disclose your credit card number.
b. Password. Some features of this Site may require a password or similar security identifier (such as an answer to a secret question). We may use your password and security identifier to help maintain your account with us, and to help us identify you – such as if you seek to access your account, use our services, or make changes to your account. Other than as set forth in this paragraph (and for the limited legal and other purposes set forth in our “Other Uses” section, below), we will not use or disclose your password or security identifier.
c. Email address.
(i) General. Cordillera Communications complies with the federal CAN-SPAM Act of 2003. We will not provide your email address to advertisers, marketers, or other third parties without your permission (note, however, that by agreeing to this Privacy Statement, you have agreed to our use or disclosure of your email address when permitted to do so by law or for any of the other reasons set forth in the “Other Uses” section of this Privacy Statement). To manage your email preferences, please click here.
(ii) Account / Service Emails. We may send you email relating to your account or services for which you have registered. This includes order confirmations, renewal or expiration notices, notices of credit card problems, other transactional emails and notifications about major changes to our Site and/or to this Privacy Statement. If you have registered for online discussions, contests or other services through this Site, then you may also receive email specific to your participation in those activities. We may also disclose your email address to our third party service providers to use solely for purposes of the services that they are to provide to us and to you.
(iii) E-Newsletters. If you choose to receive them, we may email you our newsletters or newsletters of third parties. If you no longer wish to receive a specific newsletter, follow the “unsubscribe” instructions located in each e-newsletter or update your preferences by clicking here.
(iv) Promotional Emails. If you choose to receive them, we may periodically email you messages about products or services that we think may be of interest to you. You can choose not to receive such messages in the future by following any “unsubscribe” instructions located in the email you receive. You can also opt out of promotional emails from us by clicking here. From time to time, we may obtain email addresses from third party sources to be used for promotional emails. You can choose not to receive such messages in the future by either following any “unsubscribe” instructions located in the email, or by managing your account with us by clicking here.
(v) Sharing Your Email Address with Our Affiliates. Cordillera Communications may share your email address with its affiliates (including other stations or companies owned by or sharing common ownership or control with Cordillera Communications, such as Cordillera Communications, Inc. and Evening Post Publishing Company). Cordillera Communications’s affiliates may only use your email address in compliance with this Privacy Statement. You can “opt out” of such sharing by clicking here.
(vi) Sharing Your Email Address with Third Party Advertisers. By agreeing to this Privacy Statement, you agree that we may share your email address with third parties who may use your email address to deliver advertisements or other promotional materials to you. You can “opt out” of our sharing your email address with such third parties by clicking here. Once you have begun to receive promotional emails from third parties, you may need to contact the third party to opt out of their delivery or to discuss your privacy concerns with them.
(vii) Survey / Questionnaire Emails. We may send you emails inviting you to participate in surveys, asking for feedback about the Site, or asking for your opinion on other matters. Any information we obtain in such surveys will not be shared with third parties, except in aggregate form. If you do not wish to receive survey emails, you can opt out by clicking here.
(viii) Emails From You. If you send us an email, we may use your email address to respond to your questions or comments. We may also retain/collect your email address for the purposes and under the restrictions set forth in this Privacy Statement.
(ix) Opt Out. You can “opt out” of email correspondence from us and from our sharing of your email address (other than as set forth in the “Other Uses” [MAKE LINK] section of this Privacy Statement) by updating the preferences in your account with us by clicking here. Please note, however, that if you opt out of certain forms of email contact from us, then you may lose access to certain services or features provided by this Site, or we may terminate your account with us or discontinue your use of portions of the Site.
(x) Unsolicited Emails. If you feel that you have received an unsolicited email from us despite having “opted out,” then please contact our website Privacy Administrator at the address in the “Contact Us” section of this Privacy Statement, below.
d. Cell phone / pager number. If you register for one of our text messaging services, such as a “text alert,” we may use your cell phone or pager number to deliver the information provided by the service. Regardless of registration, we may also use your cell phone or pager number in any manner set forth in the “Other personally identifiable information” section of this Privacy Statement. To “opt out” of selected uses of your cell phone or pager number, click here. [MAKE LINK]
e. Other personally identifiable information.
(i) We may use your name, address, phone number, age, gender and other personally identifiable information in a number of ways, including but not limited to the following: If you sign up for an account with us (which is required in order to make use of certain services and features of the Site), then we may use your personally identifiable information to maintain your account and to correspond with you. We may also use it to send you materials that we think would be of interest to you. We may also provide your personally identifiable information to advertisers or other third parties. If you enter one of our contests, then we may use your personally identifiable information for purposes of the contest (such as to notify you if you win) and/or in accordance with the contest rules. We may also provide your personally identifiable information to the sponsor(s) of the contest, publish information concerning the winner of the contest, and/or for any other lawful purposes. If you submit a letter to us, or ask to be placed on a mailing list that we maintain, then we may contact you and send information to you. If you register to purchase merchandise through this website, then we may use your personally identifiable information to maintain your account and/or process your order. If we receive your personally identifiable information from a third party service provider, then we may use the information to contact you and to assist in performing the service for which you have registered with the third party.
(ii) In addition to the uses listed above, we may use your personally identifiable information to improve our marketing and promotional efforts, as part of a statistical website usage analysis, and/or to improve the features and content of this website. We may also use your personally identifiable information to assist in delivery of content that is customized to your interests. We do not collect personally identifiable information on an automatic basis, but we may combine non-personal information (which may be automatically collected) with your personally identifiable information. We may also use your personally identifiable information as set forth elsewhere in this Privacy Statement.
2. Non-Personally Identifiable Information. We may use your non-personal information to improve our marketing and promotional efforts, as part of a statistical website usage analysis, to improve the features and content of this website, and/or for other purposes to assist our business. We may share such information with advertisers and other third parties, typically in the aggregate. We may also use your non-personal information as set forth elsewhere in this Privacy Statement.
3. Related Entities. We may share your personal or non-personal information with Cordillera Communications’s employees, affiliates, subsidiaries and/or parent entities (including without limitation Cordillera Communications, Inc. and Evening Post Publishing Company) to use in compliance with the terms of this Privacy Statement.
4. Links from the Site to Advertisers and Other Third Parties. Please be aware that Cordillera Communications’s advertisers, business partners, sponsors, service providers and other third parties accessible through the Site (such as via links from this Site and/or framed on this Site) may have their own privacy practices. Cordillera Communications is not responsible for any actions or policies of such third parties. You should check the applicable privacy policies of the third parties when providing information to them. These third parties may provide the personally identifiable information that they collect to Cordillera Communications and may also use the information in accordance with their own privacy practices.
5. Third Party Service Providers. During the course of its business, Cordillera Communications uses third party service providers, such as lawyers and accountants, to perform a variety of functions. In some instances, Cordillera Communications may need to provide personal and/or non-personal information about you to such third parties. However, all third party service providers which are not linked from the Site are prohibited from using your personally identifiable information for any purpose other than for which they were selected to work with Cordillera Communications.
6. Public Forum. If you submit a comment, advertisement, photo, video, blog entry, forum entry or similar submission, the information in your submission may be published to the general public. Please exercise caution when making such submissions. Please note that most such submissions are not reviewed prior to publication. We will not be responsible to read, respond to, or perform in accordance with any requests for privacy or confidentiality that are included with the submission or at any time.
D. OUR COMMITMENT TO SECURITY
We have put in place physical, electronic, and managerial procedures that we believe are appropriate to safeguard and help prevent unauthorized access, maintain data security, and correctly use the information we collect online. Please note that we cannot guarantee the security of our databases or Site, nor can we guarantee that information will not be intercepted while being transmitted over the Internet. In order to use some of the features of this Site, you may be required to create an account with us. For your protection, this account will only be accessible by means of a password or similar security measure. If you believe that your password or other account information has been compromised, you should change your account with us immediately. If you forget your password, follow the instructions here.
Cordillera Communications does not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 13 through this Site unless such collection is done in accordance with the law. If you are a child under the age of 13 that intends to submit information to Cordillera Communications through this Site, you must obtain your parent’s consent prior to making such a submission. In the event that Cordillera Communications obtains actual knowledge that you are a child under the age of 13, Cordillera Communications may require that you (and/or your parent) prove to us your prior parental consent. Even if you are 13 or over, we recommend that all children under the age of 18 obtain parental consent prior to registration, submission or purchase of anything through this Site. To review and print our parental privacy consent form, please click here.
F. ACCESS TO YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION AND “OPT OUT” PROCEDURES
You may change your online account information with Cordillera Communications and may change your preferences or “opt out” of certain options by accessing your account through the Site here (if you forgot your password, follow the instructions here). For additional privacy concerns, please contact our Privacy Administrator at the address set forth in the “Contact Us” section of this Privacy Statement, below. Please keep in mind that to protect your privacy and security, we may take reasonable steps to verify your identity before granting you access to any personally identifiable information or “opt out” capabilities. To change the information that you provided to third party service providers, such as in conjunction with advertisements or other links from this Site, please contact the service provider. Their policies will dictate the extent to which you can access or change the information that they have collected about you.
G. PARENTAL OPTIONS AND REVIEW
Parents of children under the age of 13 have the option to agree to the collection and use of their child’s personal information without consenting to the disclosure of the information to third parties (subject to Cordillera Communications’s protection of itself and others, disclosures for legal reasons, and Cordillera Communications’s current technological capabilities). In addition, parents can review the personal information provided by their child under the age of 13, ask to have it deleted and refuse to allow any further collection or use of the child’s information (subject to the same limitations as above). In order to make these requests, parents should follow the procedures set forth in the “Access to Your Personal Information and ‘Opt Out’ Procedures” section of this Privacy Statement and/or contact our Privacy Administrator listed in the “Contact Us” section of this Privacy Statement. Please note that, while this Site will not require more information from children under 13 than is reasonably necessary to participate in any activity or event, deletion of required information (such as information that would permit Cordillera Communications to contact the winner of a contest) may result in termination of the child’s participation in an event or activity. Parents should also note that the official rules for contests and promotions on this website may contain additional information related to their children’s privacy and the parent’s rights and responsibilities.
H. CHANGES TO THIS PRIVACY STATEMENT
1. This Privacy Statement may be changed from time to time, so we encourage you to check back with every visit to the Site. We may post a notice on the Site that this Privacy Statement has been changed. We may also notify registered users of the Site by email or other correspondence. If you do not agree to one or more of the changes, you may “opt out” using the procedures set forth in the “Access to Your Personal Information and ‘Opt Out’ Procedures” section above. You may also discontinue your use of this Site and terminate your account/registration with us by following the “opt out” procedures set forth above.
2. Once the change has been made, all information collected by the Site before or after the change will be subject to the new terms of the Privacy Statement. The current version of this Privacy Statement is effective March 8, 2010.
1. For general privacy inquiries, please email our Privacy Administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Parents of children under 13 seeking to access or change personally identifiable information that has been collected about their children through this Site, or to submit parental consent forms, please contact us at:
Website Privacy Issues
c/o Privacy Administrator
7900 International Drive
Bloomington, MN 55425
3. Cordillera Communications may have several operators collecting or maintaining personal information. The operator that is responsible for responding to privacy inquiries is Jay Small. His address is listed above. Third parties accessible through this Site may have their own such operators.
Copyright © 2010, Cordillera Communications. All rights reserved.